Wednesday, October 17, 2012

My next lens. For real. (I think.)



So, in the interest of not waiting until I'm forty to own a lens that is acceptable to me (I'm ready to throw my kit lens out the window), I have been hanging out in photography forums for my camera to see what people are saying about indoor close quarters photography with a variety of lighting possibilities. Because I hate hate hate using the built in flash.

It seems that for my camera, the 28mm 1.8 is a great choice, even though it isn't an L lens.  I love my nifty fifty (also not an L) but takes such close-ups on my crop factor 7D that I can't get a photo of all my children without taking the picture from the next room and sometimes having to hold the camera over my head or stand on a chair. Not so cute (or safe) at nine months pregnant. I just need something with a bit wider of an angle, but still having a wide aperture for shallow depth of field (to blur my messy house in the background - very important!). This 28mm will give me closer to a true 50mm focal length, and I hope to be able to take a picture of all my kids on the couch at once. With number seven coming any day now, it seems pretty important. :)

I feel good about this decision, and I hope not to have to second guess myself again, since it is pretty much mind-bending torture to sort through reviews and specs for these lenses. However, please feel free to leave a comment if you feel strongly one way or another. I won't be actually buying for another month or so. Plenty of time, alas, to flip-flop a couple more times.

No comments:

Post a Comment