Wednesday, April 4, 2012

The appliance I didn't know I needed

Honestly, truly, really.
I don't know how I lived without an immersion blender for so long.



I actually used to batch blend this soup in my Kitchen Aid!

And believe, me, these days I make more than 4 servings at a time. I just made a batch for our lunch (6 quarts) and wow was it easy!!
I don't think I can ever go back.

INGREDIENTS

1 teaspoon unsalted butter
1 large leek, white and light green part only, washed and chopped
1 medium baking potato, peeled and cut into 1/2-inch cubes
1/2 pound asparagus, ends snapped off, tips cut off and reserved, stalks cut into 1-inch pieces
3 cups chicken broth, homemade or low-sodium canned
1/2 teaspoon grated lemon rind
3/4 teaspoon kosher salt, plus more to taste
Freshly ground pepper to taste
1 teaspoon olive oil
8 shiitake mushrooms, stemmed and quartered
PREPARATION

1.
Melt the butter in a medium saucepan over low heat. Add the leek and saute until soft, about 5 minutes. Add the potatoes, asparagus stalks, chicken broth and lemon rind. Raise heat and simmer until potatoes and asparagus are tender, about 15 minutes.
2.
Place soup in a blender and puree until smooth. Stir in salt and pepper. Keep warm. Heat the olive oil in a medium nonstick skillet. Add the mushrooms and the asparagus tips. Saute until tender, about 5 minutes. Ladle the soup among 4 bowls. Garnish with asparagus tips and mushrooms. Serve immediately.
YIELD Four servings
http://events.nytimes.com/recipes/5984/1995/04/23/Asparagus-Potato-And-Leek-Soup/recipe.html

2 comments:

  1. Grrr, my Kindle Fire was not letting me comment! I have this same one and I LOVE it! You can also use it to whip eggs for scrambled eggs and omelets and beat batter smooth with it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sounds yummy! Always wondering why I can't get my blender to work like I want it to when blades are sharp enough to cut (both my hubby and mom did cut themselves on it) but try getting it to actually 'blend' anything ...going to try your suggestion...

    ReplyDelete